Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Beginning

Totally new to this blogging stuff, but since I have a lot to say I thought this would be a good place to share it.  Even though this blog begins my journey in April of this year (2011), my real journey started much earlier than that.  As a teenager, I really wasn't considered overweight.  However, I always thought I was, so I've always viewed myself as being fat.  I got married at age 18 and that's when my weight begin to climb.  Two years later, I had our first child.  I gained around 60 lbs. during that pregnancy.  I was able to lose all of that weight, but only kept it off for a brief period of time.

By the time our son turned one, I was well on my way to 200 lbs.  I became increasingly unhappy as my weight soared out of control.  I know that I used food for comfort and that habit has stayed with me for over 30 years.  I can honestly say I've tried all the major diets around and really they all worked as long as I followed all the rules.  I'm the one who failed, the diets didn't.

After the birth of our second child in 1985, my weight continued to climb.  In 1988 I was considered morbidly obese and opted to have my stomach stapled in hopes I would lose 150 lbs.  Again, it wasn't that the surgery didn't work. I'm the one who found a way to continue eating "comfort" food even with my stomach the size of a walnut.  Needless to say, this did NOT solve my weight problem.

Now let's jump ahead 20+ years to 2011.  I am extremely over weight, extremely unhappy and headed for some extreme health issues. Both of my kids are grown and now we have two grand kids.  On top of all of that, I am now 52 years of age and not getting any younger.  It's time for a change and I'm the only one who can make that happen.

In my next blog, I will share how my journey started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment